family law liverpool child contact lawyers

legal award winner

Child Custody and Child Contact Lawyers Liverpool

Child custody lawyers liverpool

Contact our friendly team today to discuss child custody and child residence issues. You can call us on 0151 318 5909 or fill out our online enquiry form.

When it comes to divorce, the welfare of your children is of the utmost importance. If you're thinking about divorce, then you may be considering what the legal implications are:

  • Who gets custody? How is this arranged?
  • Am I entitled to custody as a father? Can I prevent my husband/wife from seeing my children?
  • Will child maintenance payments be required? Can I afford them?

It is usually best for the separating partners to work together to come to an arrangement the suits both parties and is in the interests of their children.

Unfortunately, it is not always possible for separating couples to agree about what is best for their children. They might disagree over which parent the child should live with or what the contact arrangements should be.

Family Mediation

When communication breaks down between a separated couple, a mediator can help them to find a resolution. A mediator is an impartial and independent person who works with both partners to help them find a suitable agreement.

A significant requirement is in force from 6th April 2011: a Mediation Assessment is required for divorcing couples before going to court to debate finances on divorce.

Going to Court

In cases where mediation is unsuccessful, the courts can assess what the contact and residence arrangements should be for a child.

Child custody does not get raised automatically when you first petition for divorce. In order to do this, a form called 'statement of arrangements for children' must be completed. This applies to every child under the age of 16 or over the age of 16 but under the age of 18 and in full time education or training for a professional trade or vocation.

The form has four parts which requires you to go into a great deal of detail about your children's home life, schooling, care and maintenance. We recommend that you seek professional advice before completing this form to give you the best possible start to any court proceedings.

What Orders Are Available?

Different court orders are available, depending on the particular circumstances of the case.

Child Arrangement Order

This order stipulates where the child lives and how much time they will spend with each parent.

Specific Issue Order

This order relates to a specific aspect of a child’s upbringing such as which school they will go to.

Parental Responsibility

Parental responsibility is needed to apply for one of these orders so an application will normally be made by a parent or guardian of the child. Parental responsibility is automatically granted to the child’s mother at birth. The father will have parental responsibilities if he is married to the child’s mother or named on the child’s birth certificate (this applies after a certain date in different parts of the UK).

Fathers and others, such as grandparents, can apply for parental responsibilities. More information can be found from the

Child Custody Lawyers Liverpool

If you have any concerns or questions about child custody or if you feel you are not being granted proper access to your child, contact our friendly family lawyers today. We are proud of providing clear and straightforward advice to our clients.

Contact us today on 0151 318 5909 or fill out our online enquiry form.

legal award winner

Enquire now

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input

Please tick the box below

Invalid Input

Pick tick to confirm you have read this.


COVID-19 update

We are open for business and here to help you.

Our team are working from home but remain fully available to assist you.

Please get in touch today.